Monday, December 2, 2013

Final Thoughts on Leaving Palestine


With just two weeks left in Palestine, I can confidently say that this is not a place I will be forgetting about anytime soon. I came to Palestine knowing very little about the conflict and the politics of the Middle East. Over the course of my three months I have learnt a significant amount about the history of Palestine and Israel. I grew up in an international school, with many American Jews as friends. I’d never made up my mind about which ‘side I was on’, but my background should have meant I would be more inclined to support Israel.

The foreign media portrays Palestinians as militant and dangerous but that's not been my experience, far from it. Upon arriving in Palestine, my preconceptions were constantly flipped, and I was often confused, but most of all I was angry. That has changed over the course of the three months, but I hope it is not because I have become desensitized, though I fear this is part of it. When first arriving in Palestine I was shocked almost daily, the current situation in Palestine is far more complicated and the occupation has severe impacts on Palestinian lives that you don't even think about back home.

With time, and having met more people I have convinced myself, rightly or wrongly, that my presence here is helping. Palestinians tell me that they are thankful that we as internationals are here, and they need the international community to listen. As much as I understand that the international community can make the biggest difference, how do I reach out to those who aren’t already working for Palestine’s freedom? How do I reach people who don't realise the impact of foreign governments policies in Palestine? I am just one international who has come to Palestine and seen what millions of people need to see. I want to come back but I don’t feel like this can be the last and only time I am here. I want to return both because of and despite the conflict. I love the place for the food, the people, the weather, the scenery, but I am also intrigued by the conflict, and the complexity of it. I find myself continually wanting to learn more.



My time in Palestine has put a human face on the conflict and made me realise everything is not as it was potrayed back home. In Palestine you see the human impact of the occupation and you start to question the necessity of the policies in place.

I have had an incredible three months thanks to an amazing charity. I would strongly recommend the ICS program to anyone who has a desire to see a new culture, and learn more about themselves than they thought possible. I have had so many experiences, most incredible, some frustrating but all have made my three months here a truly unique experience.


No comments:

Post a Comment